Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Dear Co-Worker

I’ve been using Twitter I think since July of 2009, and somewhere over that short span of time, I started tweeting events occurring in my office that annoy me. Mainly, it was directed at one person in particular.

In any office setting, there is a certain amount of professionalism that is expected from all employees. While I may not be the most upright citizen, let alone ever being in contention for an accolade such as “Employee of the Month”, I still attempt to hold myself with a particular level of dignity and respectability.

Friends who follow me on Twitter have commented via Twitter, text messages, and in-person that they enjoy my passive-aggressive, yet humorous take on my daily workplace frustrations. After all, it’s much easier to vent about my frustrations in a comical manner, than it is to play nanny for an adult older than myself.

Essentially, I’m posting this, because I have given much thought to people’s requests for a “Dear Co-Worker” Twitter page, or a “Dear Co-Worker” blog. Honestly, I would love to do it. I think it would be great, and with all of the potential positive outcomes that could arise from such a venture, I regretfully have to decline to move forward on such an endeavor.

The reality of the situation is this; we live in a world where very little is sacred, and every man, woman, and child is held accountable for their actions in public and private, as well as virtual settings. While it would be entertaining for me to provide friends and strangers alike with a good laugh from time to time, I feel that the risk for exposure is too great. It’s not that my place of business would catch wind of my musings, but the fact of the matter is, it’s very possible, and the idea is a little too threatening to me.

I would hate to jeopardize my employment, because someone put the pieces of the puzzle together, with the resulting picture being my face. Unfortunately for all of you, that is not a reality I am ready to take on.

The thought of going “private” has already crossed my mind, but doesn’t lend itself to logic. A Twitter page or blog of that nature is one I would appreciate being seen by as many people as possible. Limiting it to those that I know is a defeated idea in and of itself.

I truly am sorry, but please understand that I need to be a responsible, mature human being about the matters at hand.

Thank you

2 comments:

* said...

Yup. I learned this the hard way. Good thinking.

E_Napier said...

I'm not as forward-thinking as I sound. I learned from others' mistakes in the past.