Sunday, March 1, 2009

Rack 'Em

I'll make this quick.

On Saturday, February 28, 2009, I hosted a pool tournament here at the school where I work. The brackets were setup for a total of 32 participants, but only 26 people played. A couple left for the weekend, and the rest were too lazy to come out of their rooms around or anywhere after Noon.

All in all it was a good day. The event was planned for Saturday and Sunday, but the games went by quicker than I expected, so we knocked it all out at once. The best moment had to have been as I was handing out the trophies to the final four contestants, the young man who placed 3rd was so proud of himself for what he accomplished. He had the smile of a child on his face as he looked down at the trophy in his hand and said, "Wow, I've never won a trophy before. This is my first one."

And that's part of why I do what I do. I can't get that gratification all the time, but if I can help make a difference or help someone else make a difference, then all the other headaches and stress that come with the territory are worth it.

No comments: