Saturday, November 8, 2008

I Shot a Warhol

What a name, right?  Where did it come from?  What's it about?  Well, I'll tell you.

First and foremost, the name, while implying that someone with the name of Warhol (Andy) has been shot, it has absolutely nothing to do with harming another soul.  That explanation by default cancels out any reference to the 1996 film, I Shot Andy Warhol.

Originally borrowed from the 2005 album, Felt 2: A Tribute to Lisa Bonet by the Hip-Hop duo, MURS and Slug, the closing song on the album matches the title of this blog.  However, their song was not about Andy Warhol or art, and even though there is mention of guns and violence, it's more expressionism than anything else.

I personally feel that Andy Warhol's work, while overrated, was progressive for it's time.  Some of his work is appreciated, but much of it is taken at face value.  If you screen print the Brillo packaging onto a series of wooden boxes then stack them like a grocery store display, I will not applaud your efforts.  It's not for me to say it's not art, but I don't care for it.  But I digress.

Regardless of how I feel about Andy Warhol and his work, his name is synonymous with art.  Even with my dislike for the late Warhol, he is still an influence, and without him, I would have looked to another as a muse.  I'm fond of Peter Max's work, but it helps to be deceased.  I will take aim at art, music, politics, and everything else in my sights.  There should be some [quality] stuff on the way.  Hopefully someone will enjoy it.

Enjoy.

No comments: