Sunday, June 21, 2009

Don't Fight It

Maybe it's the fanboy in me. No, it is the fanboy in me. Like most power players out right now, I'm a Reagan Baby. Yes, the '80s have come to inherit the earth. In the next 10 to 20 years, the kids born in the '90s will have the thrown. In any case, everything from the '80s is a golden ticket.

Fashion has come back, and now everything from live-action television shows, movies, and cartoons from the time period have progressed from mere references to being reworked for "modern" audiences. I'm sorry, but it wasn't that long ago. However you look at it, I'm not upset. I run on pure, unfiltered nostalgia.

Thundercats, He-Man, Voltron, G.I. Joe, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Transformers, etc. are all in the works. A few of the previously mentioned titles have already seen reincarnations, but there's still more to come. Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen will be released in a few days, and I couldn't help but to be curious as to what the very particular people at Rotten Tomatoes had to say about it. Clearly, they're a bunch of haters. It's too long, coming in at 2 1/2 hours! There's too many explosions! Where's the creativity? Blah blah blah.

You see, Transformers is a movie based on a cartoon, comic book, and toy line from Hasbro. It was created for little boys with imaginations, not so much for adults hell-bent on criticizing the dreams and imaginations of others. I loved the first Michael Bay rendition, and even if this new installment is more of the same thing, it's exactly what it's supposed to be. For the love of (insert your god here), it's a film based on a toy line! If you're looking for Citizen Kane, then stay home and watch TMC. I'm just glad to see the diecast and plastic figures I played with as a child do all the things I used to pretend they did.

I guess I'll have my definitive answer come Wednesday morning. I'll be the guy in the office too tired to work, who also forgot to change out of his Decepticon t-shirt into his work clothes.

No comments: